Tuesday, November 10, 2015

PLEASE DON’T SAY YOU’RE SORRY...


Please don’t say you’re sorry when I tell you my son is autistic.

It’s like telling me you are sorry that my child is Black, or female, or was adopted: just plain wrong. Sure there are things about being a woman or person of color or autistic or having been adopted that stink, but none of them are intrinsic to the person living those qualities. They’re judgments and discriminations that are inflicted externally, not – at least not originally or inevitably - embodied.

My children are veritable rainbows of their own unique glory, neither defined nor necessarily limited by any one particular trait.

Just like everybody else.



Figure I – Veritable Rainbows of their own Unique Glory (with Partial Labeling for Instructional Purposes Only)

That is all.

Thanks and love,
Full Spectrum Mama

Welcome to the Sensory Blog Hop — a monthly gathering of posts from sensory bloggers hosted by The Sensory Spectrum and The Jenny Evolution. Click on the links below to read stories from other bloggers about what it’s like to have Sensory Processing Disorder and to raise a sensory kiddo!






12 comments:

  1. So very true--it is so hurtful when people say they are "sorry" or "that's so sad" about autism or anything else. Love your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to be told "I'm sorry you're autistic" any more than I want to be told "I'm sorry you're an INTJ", "I'm sorry you're a LaHaye ChlorMel", "I'm sorry you're a Type 4 with a Type 5 wing", or "I'm sorry you're an ambivert". By the way, I love the picture (as I do with pretty much anything rainbow-colored). I'd like to do one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect ! Exactly!
      Thanks for reading and draw away. I use ink and watercolor pencils, mostly.
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  3. Well said! Love the art! I'm also an adoptive mama! I'm finally catching up on reading the November blog hop posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when I tell people I am autistic and they say, "Oh, I'm sorry." It is an awkward thing to say! I want to reply, "I'm NOT sorry!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      I know people mean well but they need to learn to do better. At the moment though, I'm typically speechless :(
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete

Dear Readers, Full Spectrum Mama seeks to honor and represent a Full Spectrum of opinions. All reasonably coherent comments will be published. If you are having trouble posting a comment (for reasons I cannot figure out, most people do??!!) , please email FSM @:
jineffable@gmail.com