Tuesday, November 11, 2014

BLANKETS

Sensory processing differences make Blankets a big challenge for some. While my son, G, uses the same comforter year-round and is steaming in the summer and cool in the winter and “Mom, don’t bother me about this,” and my daughter, Z, always varies her blanket layers flawlessly for the “just right” amount, I am one of those people.

Here is a mere sampling of Potential Blanket Problems: improper weight, inadequate warmth, itchy, scratchy wool, side-to-side slippage, smallness, bottom-to-top slippage…Rilke said, “A work of art is good if it has arisen out of necessity”* -- so I’ve made a visual aid for those who might be unaware of the true scope of this topic.




                         Figure I – Issues in Blankets


For so long, at night, while trying to sleep or go back to sleep under Blanket(s) that just could not get right, I practiced thinking “peaceful” thoughts and feeling peaceful…In fact, for most of my life I have had an overarching goal of “achieving” “peace.”

A few months ago, I realized:

  1. I didn’t get one of those kinds of lives,
and
  1. Even if I had, my high physical and emotional sensitivities (SPD) would prevent total, utter “peace.”

So I decided on more realistic goals – goals that are worthy and sometimes a stretch but that I’ve for the most part been actually reaching; goals that make me happy (versus defeated) to think about…:

They are:

To practice living with

1.       much KINDNESS
and
2.      a mighty SENSE OF HUMOR.

So, now, when sleepless, I try (instead of perseverating on why I am not as “peaceful” or “asleep” as I should be) chuckling quietly to myself and, VERY kindly, I do not smack my peacefully sleeping husband. No, I am kidding about the chuckling. But it does help, with my particular neurology and bed-ology, to go for the gentle humor of it all instead of something overly elusive…

I haven’t even discussed mattresses, sheets, and pillows – or sharing a bed.

Love, and a big, sweet, slightly maniacal smile,
Full Spectrum Mama



*Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (Stephen Mitchell translation)



17 comments:

  1. Thanks for once again touching on such an important topic! I myself am also very particular about my blankets. Even in the heat of a Florida summer, I have to have my heavy comforter at night in order to sleep. My husband, however, sleeps with only a sheet at night (which means more comforter for me, thus avoiding the exposed sheet issue). My son is a blanket lover like me and even now we are currently snuggled under one, even though it is easily 70 degrees outside. Good luck on your quest for kindness and a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I was JUST suggesting to @JennyEvolution that we MOVE to Florida for sensory/clothing issues!
      I HIGHLY approve of your blanket snuggling in 70 degrees. What's better?
      Love,kindness and laffs for us all,
      FSM

      Delete
    2. Yes, come on down, the weather is lovely! :)

      Delete
  2. I also am particular to a blanket. Certain type of material. It helps me fall asleep. My family used to joke if I planned on carrying it down the aisle when I got married and my reply was "no...but I'm taking it on the honeymoon." Oh...and I don't like to share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Would you be willing to share...the material-type? ;)
      Always on a quest for good blankies,
      FSM

      Delete
  3. I too have blanket issues. There are times when I have to just keep my feet completely out of the cover and I can't be tucked in....no way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa.
      I'm really disturbed right now.
      That is VERY dangerous. And uncomfortable.
      We are going to have to agree to disagree on this.
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  4. I love this! Blankets have always been my issue as well. Have you ever tried a weighted one? Sensory friendly paradise. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just switched to the heavy duvet - heaven. Except...well, sometimes it gets a little ...hot.
      But I have long thought weighted could work. Unless it's...chemical-y.
      Oh boy. You understand ;)
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  5. The next time I wake up at 2am to worry about all of the things I didn't do, need to do, want to do, should do, can't do, and wish I could do (my usual routine), I will chuckle….or at least try. Very good advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it's sometimes kind of funny just to THINK about chuckling, you know? especially with all that we carry...
      Love,
      FSM

      Delete
  6. Your drawing cracked me up: just perfect! My type-A personality really gets you. I'm one of those people who cuts the tags out of my own clothing because they're itchy and scratchy.
    Great new goals that, from what I can tell, you're already achieving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying, trying, Mommy C - but one thing to be wary of with these is to try not to get too type-A and high strung INSIDE, amidst all the exterior kindness and humor ;)

      Delete
  7. When we got my oldest son his first weighted blanket, it was like magic! He needed something to hold him down to the bed (ha!) and this did the trick. It was made from fleece on one side and cotton fabric on the other so he could choose which side he wanted. It falls under the "best purchase ever" category!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done! Absolutely brilliant information.

    I used the insomnia blanket for sleeping problem and its really helpful to relieve the anxiety problem and help to sleep better. I bought my Insomnia Weighted Blanket from calming moments australia. There are awesome and fast service provider. Very cooperative on phone calls.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, Full Spectrum Mama seeks to honor and represent a Full Spectrum of opinions. All reasonably coherent comments will be published. If you are having trouble posting a comment (for reasons I cannot figure out, most people do??!!) , please email FSM @:
jineffable@gmail.com